Q. How can I locate books and media in the McKee Library, what are the circulation policies, and and who has circulation privileges?
The Circulation Department provides borrowing access to McKee Library’s main book collection. The Circulation Manager, Evening Supervisor, and student assistants aid patrons with:
- Checking out, renewing, and returning library materials
- Accessing the library catalog and locating library materials
- Finding and using reference materials
McKee Library serves Southern students, faculty and staff, other library card holders, and visitors. The library is open to all for in-house use, but the borrowing of materials is limited to the following:
- Faculty, staff, and their dependents age 14+
- Southern graduates (within 30 mile radius)
- Retired SDA workers (within 30 mile radius)
- Part-time university employees (within 30 mile radius)
- SDA pastors (within 30 mile radius)
- Other professionals: $25.00 annually (within 30 mile radius)
Southern Adventist University's campus ID cards serve as library cards. Southern graduates, retired SDA workers, part-time university employees, and other professionals must apply for a card at the library Monday-Thursday from 9am to 4pm.
Undergraduate students may borrow up to a total of 20 items. Graduate students may borrow up to a total of 50 items. Additional loans must be approved by the Public Services Director or Circulation Manager.
Unless otherwise notified, circulation periods are as follows:
- Fall / Winter - 28 days
- Summer - 7 days
- Media items - 7 days
The following library materials do not circulate:
- Special Materials
- Rare Books
- Reference works
- Materials from the Center for the Study of 19th Century America
Media items are located on the second floor of the library. The student assistant at the media desk is available to help patrons locate and check out media items.
Search for Books by Subject
To find library books by topic/subject, go to the library’s main page and click on the “Books” tab. Enter the title, author, or subject area for the book you would like to locate. The library has a tutorial on how to locate physical books.
Course reserves are specific books and articles which have been set aside by teachers for classroom purposes. Course reserves are located at the circulation desk. Some may be checked for 2 hours in the library while others may be checked out for 3 days. There is a fine in case of failure to return a reserve item on time.
- 2 hour reserves - $.50/hr
- 3 day reserves - $ 1.00/day
- 1 week reserves - $1.00/day
The overdue process is as follows:
- 2 courtesy notices are sent out notifying patrons of their overdue items (patrons are given a 14-day grace period, 7 days in the summer).
- If an item is not returned during the 14-day grace period, a charge notice for the cost of the book or $40.00, plus a $25.00 non-refundable processing fee, is generated and sent to the borrower. Library privileges are suspended until the book has been returned or the charge has been placed on account.
- Upon return of the book, all charges except the processing fee will be refunded.
Please note that books which include a CD must be returned as a set; failure to do so will result in a $5.00 fee for the missing CD.
To get an extension on the books or materials you have on loan:
- Go to McKee Library's catalog
- Log into your account in the upper right hand corner
- Click on "My Account"
- Select the boxes beside the titles you would like to renew and click "Renew Selected" or click "Renew All"
You can also bring your books to the front desk. Graduate students may renew one time by e-mail or phone. A maximum of two renewals is allowed.
Any item may be recalled at any time if a faculty member needs the item to be placed on reserve.
A patron may place a hold request on a book that is checked out by the following process:
- Log in to the library catalog.
- Select the "Get It" tab on the record.
- Click on "Request" and enter the details of the title you requested.
- Choose "Request."
A request may also be placed at the circulation desk. When the book is returned, the requesting patron is notified. The book is held at the front desk for three days.
When a hold request is placed on an item, the item may not be renewed.
The borrower must notify the library of lost or damaged items and will be charged for the cost of repair or replacement.
For additional information on the McKee Library’s circulation procedures, please call the library at 423-236-2788.